Monday, February 13, 2012

A Little Trinket

Lucky socks. Your first pair of running shoes. The singlet you wore to your first race. These things become imbued with a powerful meaning for runners.

But you can't wear your lucky socks everyday. For one thing, your running buddy might complain of the stench. For another, short of carrying those socks with you everywhere (let's face it: they're not going to match your daily wardrobe), you're going to have to look elsewhere for motivation.

For my birthday this year, K - ever the giving, motivating buddy - gifted me with a few charms of the running variety for my other hobby: jewelry making. This afternoon, I finally found some time to start crafting with them.

My favorite of the three charms K gave me is a tiny dog tag, about the size of a pinky-nail, with the date of the Half engraved on one side, and my time engraved on the other. Together with a silver pendant engraved with a tree (to symbolize strength, stability, life, perseverance, a strong foundation, growth, and reaching for the highest attainable goals), I've put this dog tag on a bracelet. (I would have made a necklace, but I like to mix up my necklaces, and this bracelet will go with anything.)

Now, whenever I look at it, I'll be reminded of how far I've come, and how far I have yet to go.


Best birthday present ever.



ABK

*blurry photo quality due to cell phone & the impossibility of correctly photographing small shiny objects with its camera. Oh well!

No comments:

Post a Comment